Thursday, November 11, 2010

Halloween Mad Scientist mantle display

This is the display I created for the top mantle in our all purpose room. I was going for a kind of mad scientist vibe. Looking at it now its kind of busy, there is a lot to look at. But I still like it.

I used several glass jars with green spider-webbing to look like potion spilling out.  The labels are from Target as is the blue jar in the background. The pumpkin is fake, I carved it using a scalpel and a pattern from Pumpkin Masters. That awesome old jar is an actual apothecary jug I found at a Salvation Arny and bought for 3 dollars! The green skeleton hands are the perfect accent and were from Target as well. The 2 black outlines are 




The glass tube in the back is filled with popcorn balls. I believe much like in artwork there has to be visual interest to carry the eye around. This tall container serves that purpose of breaking up the flat plane of view. I layered the balls back and forth in a pattern that also had a type of Jacobs Ladder effect, another call to the mad scientist theme.  

No comments:

Post a Comment